Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agasaria

A writing site for newbies and veterans alike - we welcome open roleplaying with any genre and skill level welcome, as well as writers of short stories, creative pieces, poetry, workshops, and more!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Steel Curtain

Go down 
+4
The Doctor
Ionalien
GoldenHeartsShineForever
Iliana
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GoldenHeartsShineForever
GoldenHeartsShineForever

The Steel Curtain - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Koth looked around at the cave, his only thought being I wonder if there is any ore in these walls? Koth began to get lost in his own mind as he imagined what ores would belong in these rocks, and his mind got lost in thoughts of home. The mountains where he grew up, where he would explore their many caves as a child. As he thought of his many happy memories, a small smile crept across his face, the hard lines of his body smoothing out slightly.

His attention was wrenched away from his memories as the fur man held up a paw to silence the girl. Marsha, Koth thought. The thing has a name, I should use it. Koth's body went rigid once more as he listened to the Kha.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 pm

The Ka-chuan shimmered on the stick, and the kha nodded, satisfied. He turned to the mouthy, chattery Kha girl, clearly annoyed. He listened to her questions, and then to their names as he slowly mulled them over in his head. None of them sounded like true Kha names, save perhaps K-oth, but for the most part...There. He had seen it. Only for a moment, the image of a Kah before him shifted to that of a gar, only for a moment, and then back again. The Kha's feline eyes scanned each one, until he came to one that seemed to be...not Kha, or gar, or any other sort of creature he had seen. It was tiny, smaller even than some gar children, and part of it appeared to be made of some kind of metal. The Kha's mistrust grew as Marsha asked questions any Kha would know, and slowly, her own image began to flicker until it no longer concealed her. The noble's eyes narrowed as each 'Kha' slowly formed into something...else. Some strange versions of Gar...and some thing she had never seen. He cut the girl off and raised his paw. "You aree not Kha." he said, looking at each of the individuals suspiciously. "That creaturee is thee Akamaihd, a monster that thee youngest Kha and gar aree taught...and I am Lau-Tak, Keeper of Records for thee Great Assembly. Fairly well known, I might add." He said, and turned toward the end of the tunnel, waving for the others to follow. "Comee anyway, wee may havee usee of you." He continued.

When the beast raised its paw, the water drained from my face. I quickly realized that we were dealing with a noble, and if it was anything like the ones from my world, Marsha had insulted him greatly. When I heard it speak, however, I was dumbfounded. Things I had never taken into account exposed us, our names, our mannerisms, our knowledge, or lack thereof...All these things were not of this world. "Well...this...is awkward..." I whispered, unsure of what to say. The Kha had, after all, learned more than enough from Marsha about us, and there was no need to give him still more information. I caught up to Marsha, and whispered "It seems we need to keep even our names hidden...how are we suppose to know all the thi-Where is the Traveler from this world?" I asked, knowing they could have told us the basics of this world.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 pm

A'lyrren was not expecting Marsha to jump into her arms and cling to her like some kind of tentacled monster.

And that was putting it nicely.

People on Aldgar did not indulge in 'hugging' and she had not been particularly affectionate to any of the Travelers, so she had been fairly certain they all understood the no-touchie rule that had gone unspoken. When Marsha's body collided with her own, she reacted in the only way she knew how.

She fought back.

A burst of blackness spilled from her hands, vanishing almost immediately for all except poor Marsha. Though not a full dose, the girl would be forced to endure her worst nightmares playing before her eyes as though reality for the next ten minutes or so. Once she let go, A'lyrren quickly stepped back and crossed her arms. Served her right. Their new 'guide' seemed to not trust them at all, which made the situation a bit worse.

"Use of us? What's he going to do, throw us in a soup pot?" she asked warily, cocking an eyebrow.
Back to top Go down
https://agasaria.rpg-board.net
The Doctor
The Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Lars was dusting himself off as Marsha spoke to Lau-Tak. About the same time she was silenced, he began to feel a twinge in his circuits. He raised his hand to his head and closed his eyes, as if he had a headache. He was trying to listen to what was going on and manage the pain in his head at the same time. It became more intense over the next few moments and then, suddenly...nothing. It stopped. Just gone. But why? Lars opened his eyes and shifted them back and forth, as if expecting the pain to jump out from behind a rock and yell "Abloogy-woogy-woo".

"You aree not Kha."

Lars looked up at Lau-Tak. "That was an amazing coincidence" He thought. A strange fluctuation of energy affecting his cyber-plant, increasing in intensity until vanishing completely...and then one of the natives, who were supposed to see them as natives as well, suddenly knew that they weren't? "There's got to be some kind of connection." He didn't have time to investigate at the moment, though, as the old Kha had bid them to follow, claiming they had some usefulness.

"All due respect, sir" Lars began, addressing Lau-Tak "I think we'd all feel a little better about following you if you could give us some answers about just where you were taking us and, perhaps, in what way we can be useful to you." Lars approached Lau-Tak with his hands kept behind his back, his chest puffed out and his head held high in a dignified and commanding, yet non-threatening, manner. "As I'm sure you're aware, we're not from around here. As such, we have no way of knowing what you might intend to do with us. For all we know, you could be leading us off somewhere to work in a mine for the rest of our lives or to a kitchen so that we can be served up as dinner." He locked eyes with Lau-Tak, his stare reinforcing his determination for answers.
Back to top Go down
Iliana
Staff Member
Staff Member
Iliana

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 pm

"GET OF OF ME! AHHHH! SPIDERS! GO AWAY, GET OFF GET OFF GET OFF! STOP! I HATE YOU SO MUCH! I HATE HATE HATE YOU! LEAVE ME ALONE! OFF! GET OFF GET OFF!"

Marsha blinked one time as the vision of a mass of spiders and their webs disappeared right before her eyes which were the size of golf balls. Her skin was chalk white, but small bits of color was beginning to flush back into her at a dangerously slow pace. Her body involuntarily shuddered every now and then as the remnants of the nightmare washed away. She remembered nothing but seeing A'lyrren and then being chased by a swarm of spiders, her worst fear. Her body didn't move but her jaw did slack open, screaming a scream that never came. It took for Lau-Tak's voice to shake her from the nightmare.

Uh-oh.

At the mention of not being kha, Marsha snapped her jaw shut, realizing that she was the one who gave up their image, even if for a second, by saying their names. She was lucky that Lars spoke up when he did, seeming to re-ask the question A'lyrren (who she no longer liked) asked earlier. Lau-Tak didn't even grace them with a yes or no. He simply blinked his large, golden-eyes once and made another hand motion for them to follow him in the winding tunnels. Marsha weighed the choice of whether he should be trusted or not inside her head. He had saved their lives. The least they could do was follow him to what might have been Gringlor! Making a face to Sun-Lai that asked 'You coming?', Marsha skirted away from A'lyrren and followed the great kha to who knew where.

Hello, Elox.
Back to top Go down
Juku
Staff Member
Staff Member
Juku

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 4:46 am

Duke looked at the rest of the group, before his eyes shifted to Lau-Tak. There was a bad feeling about him within Duke's goo..And it wasn't just the fact that he found out about their true identities. Great. He knows we're not Kha. What now? Duke folded his arms, when the keeper of records asked them to follow him into the depths of this tunnel. None of them knew what was down the tunnel...How do we know this is not a great big trap?

Luckily Lars and Al'yrren had similar concerns. Except Lars was much more approaching about his, standing straight up to Lak-Tau. That man had some courage for sure. Who knows what was going to happen next? Duke felt like he could've added more to the conversation, but really he had the same thoughts. Were they being led to somewhere safe? Or all part of something bigger, especially now their images are revealed. It worried Duke slightly, but he tried not to show it too much. Instead he shook it off, when Marsha started yelling about the spiders. Kinda funny actually..Spiders..Cobwebs.. Heheh.

When Marsha started to trail behind the Kha. Duke didn't want her to walk off by herself, so he quickly caught up to the two. Looking back to Sun-Lai as well, and the other travelers. "Least we can do is honor the Kha who saved us and go down the tunnel..Anything happens we'll have each other." Duke wouldn't have minded being surrounded by these travelers if they had to fight for their lives. He would proudly defend his comrades until he could no more.
Back to top Go down
GoldenHeartsShineForever
GoldenHeartsShineForever

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Koth breathed in the damp air of the cave. Though it had a certain organic feel he didn't quite appreciate, he still felt quite comfortable. He rolled his eyes at all of the bitching and moaning from the other travellers, and strode forward right beside the Kha as he lead them down the tunnel.
Back to top Go down
Colin
Colin

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 am

When I hear them accuse us, quite correctly, of us not being Kha, I freeze in my tracks. I feel completely out of place and I'm scared to the bone that this is the end of my life. I don't want to die. I still have 64 years left to live. I follow the rest of the group wondering where we're going, if we're going to survive this verse, and if I'm ever going to see my family again back on Skywall. I really hope Marsha knows what she's doing.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I winced as Lars made his way up to the noble, making it seem like he was in charge, not the Kha. I could count at least twenty reasons why that was a bad idea, the most obvious of which being that the Kha noble was nearly three spans taller than Lars was. It was blatantly obvious that Lars had no idea how to treat a noble, and it may or may not cost us. I was relieved when the Kha did nothing, but instead ignored him and continued down the path. It seemed he had given us the "Follow or stay here" option. I shrugged at Marsha's look, and followed behind the cat-man.

The gar was quite full of himself. The more these strange beings spoke or interacted, it became more and more apparent that they were from...elsewhere. whether from another world or from across the Great Sea, The Kha did not know, but they were beginning to test his patience. He quickly turned to head back toward Gringlor, unconcerned whether the creatures followed him or not. If they wanted to face dangers they knew nothing about, that was their choice.

The Kha made his way through a winding tunnel, and though it was long and winding, there was but one, and so it was impossible to get lost. In time, the group came to a spawling slum, surrounded by a palisade with a few Kha standing by gates. Within were the gar, small, frail creatures capable of less work than cattle, but were good for delicate things, like cooking, cleaning, and farming. The girl, Marsha, looked exactly like any one of these nameless gar, but the others...varied, to say the least. "These aree thee homes of thee gar. Abovee is thee grand Kha city of Glingor. What you decidee to do from heree is yours. I caree littlee for you." He said, and then proceeded toward a large staircase-like structure.
Back to top Go down
Layne
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Layne

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 pm

A'lyrren cocked an eyebrow at Marsha's screaming. Bugs of some sort, it seemed. Interesting. She watched the girl follow after the Kha, then saw Duke following suit. It was obvious that they were stuck in a bit of a bind, but even she was aware that they were stronger together than apart. She had absolutely no desire to wander around this world on her own. Falling into step right behind Koth and ahead of the last pair of them, she resigned herself to silence. There was no point in speaking now, anyway. The 'game', as it was, was up.

After going through a tunnel that pleased her with its pointless turns and many shadows, they emerged in some sort of rural area for the Kha and gar. Or whatever they were. She eyed them, then looked at their guide. He was leaving them to fend for themselves.

"We've come this far. I'm not getting conned into cleaning for some Kha in a gate," she said to the other Travelers, shrugging and following him onward.
Back to top Go down
https://agasaria.rpg-board.net
The Doctor
The Doctor

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 am

Lars stood and watched as the old Kha completely ignored him and continued onward. "The nerve!" He thought. "As if he's so very important that he doesn't need to answer questions posed to him." Lars turned to look around to find another tunnel but there didn't seem to be any. When he turned back he found to, his bemusement, that the rest of the group had continued on without him.

He made no effort to try to catch up. He could see the group ahead of him and, as he found no wrong turns to be made along the way, he couldn't very well go off without them. Lars was getting very tired of following the very rude Kha so when they came upon the slum that Lau-Tak declared to be the homes of the Gar, Lars was quick to voice his happiness. "Ah, at last! Perhaps down here I'll find someone of a more reputable character!" Lars said, rather loudly so as to make sure Lau-Tak knew it was an insult and directed at him.

Taking a few steps toward the huts and hovels that served as the houses of the Gar, Lars looked over his shoulder and said "Well, you heard him! He doesn't care what we do! Way I see it, any debt we may have owed him for saving us from that big ol'...thing up there has been wiped away by his high-and-mighty attitude. So anybody who doesn't like being led around by the nose, possibly to our doom, is more than welcome to come with me."

Not checking to see if anyone broke away to follow him, Lars made his way down towards the gates. Happy to be away from Lau-Tak, he strode confidently up to the gate. As the guards moved to bar his entry, he attempted to assume a disguise. Hoping that the illusion of being a native was only broken to Lau-Tak, he did his very best to imitate the Kha he had seen so far. "Hail" He said, hoping he wouldn't need to effect a change in his voice. "I have been sent to inspect thee...Gar. Some have been sick, and I am to check for diseases."
Back to top Go down
Iliana
Staff Member
Staff Member
Iliana

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:56 pm

The journey to Gringlor didn't take as long as Marsha fathomed it will. In truth, it was a straight shot through the tunnel. that was lit on either side by the shining substance Lak-Tau smeared over his giant stick. For something that resembled goo, it did well lighting up the caverns they were in. It was a dimming light, flickering as if it were a living, breathing entity. In fact, it could have been exactly that, Marsha pondered, her blue following the lights one by one. The air around them got warmer and warmer, which made no sense since they were so deeply under ground. They were walking down some sort of slope, deeper and deeper into the catacombs of Elox.

Marsha allowed herself a quick second to check on the state of her fellow Travelers. They said small things, but she couldn't come to bring herself to respond to anything. She'd done enough with ruining their image to the great kha who stalked ahead of them. He was the epitome of a moving statue, his broad shoulders considerably slouchier than he would have hoped them to be. It was his olding age, she presumed, that was coupled along with the grey speckles around his fur. He said nothing to them but stalk forward. For a split second, Marsha wondered if he was leading them to their dooms, but she dismissed it as she recounted him saving them from the Akamaihd.

Without warning, a horrible stench struck her right across the face. She grabbed both of her hands and cupped it across her nose, scrunching up her eyes. The stench was unbearable as if something had been dead down there for months on end. Her stomach turned beneath her chest.
"What in the world is that smell?"

"These aree thee homes of thee gar. Abovee is thee grand Kha city of Glingor. What you decidee to do from heree is yours. I caree littlee for you." Marsha forced a single eye open, nodding towards the great kha to show that she understood, looking out over at the gar of which he spoke. It hit her harder than she expected it to. Her heart sunk all the way to her ankles at the gar, all slumped behind a large palisade. The smell, the dismissive nature of Lak-Tau, and the reality of it all seeped into Marsha's trembling body, her eyes glued to the 'gar'.

They were humans.

"Oh my god..." she tremored, her body doing an involuntary spasm even while Doctor Lars made his speech. The man wasn't even effected and he was a human himself! As desperately as she coaxed her eyes to glance away, she could not. There were easily hundreds - thousands! - of humans strewn out on the dirty, cold stoned cave. There were whimpers of pain from small children, grunts from men, and constant sobbing from women. Every now and then, a large snap would cry out couple with a piercing scream and a chuckling kha. Marsha stood her ground, watching the noble kha make his exist and Lars make his way to the kha who stood on either side of the gate. She neither made a move to follow him. Hell, she made no move at all. She only but stood there, her eyes sliding to the other Travelers who must have been thinking the same thing.

"I th-think I know what Saint Dane's implying..." she whispered, closing her mouth immediately afterwards. She would not be the one to say it.
Back to top Go down
Colin
Colin

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 pm

As we reach the home of the "gar" I do a double take. I look at the gar, then at Marsha, and back at the gar. Those creatures they call gar are humans! All of them! I thought I detected some resentment when they said I was too small to be a gar. Now I see why. I decide to follow suit with Lars and introduce myself to a few of the humans living down here. I start to approach a group of adults but I stop, realizing they will see me as a child. I find a group of children and walk over to them. Putting myself in the mindset of a child, I make myself known to them.

"Hi everyone. I'm Jaedr. Those kha just brought me and some of my friends down here. Can we stay here for a while?
Back to top Go down
Juku
Staff Member
Staff Member
Juku

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:24 pm

As they traveled deeper into the caves. Duke could feel his body getting slightly warmer, yet temperature didn't really bother him. What did was where they were going, the concern of this whole being lead by the kha into a trap deal. He saw right through their images and could surely tell some of the others. No. No. Don't think about that..It's not going to help. He thought to himself, shaking the thought and adjusting his sunglasses. Even though the only light was the goo substance, Duke could see perfectly and didn't bump around like an idiot.

He noticed that Marsha had covered her nose, raising a brow curiously as to why she did that. Perhaps there was some sort of smell that caused it..Duke couldn't know, for he didn't have a nose, so used his context clues to assume, yes, something smells bad.

When they reached their destination, it seemed like everyone was in shock at what the gar looked like. "Hey, they look like Marsha.." Speaking very softly so that their group would only hear. Even though he couldn't smell, he could definitely tell the story just by hearing and seeing what the gar were like. Screams of pain, torment, and misery. Seeing the gar reminded him of home, causing him to frown slightly. "I didn't expect this one bit.."

His attention turning to Lak-Tau as he took his leave up the staircase, leaving them to do whatever we wanted. Some of the group went over to the gar, while others remained still. Duke was conflicted on what to do, even though he could relate to the scenario in front of him.
Back to top Go down
GoldenHeartsShineForever
GoldenHeartsShineForever

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Koth followed the group in silence, irritated at his uselessness. We're gonna have to keep ourselves in disguise. Which means acting like these furry things. I'm a terrible actor. Koth decided it was best to just play mute, refraining from saying anything. It was the best way for their group to achieve anything, even though he didn't like it. I miss Mirrodin. Koth thought. I miss my home, whre I was firmly in control. I feel like a child here.

As they got to the city, with all of the gar trapped in some giant pen, Koth couldn't give any thought to it. He just kept thinking of home. He decided he needed to snap out of it, and went to the only thing that could keep his mind off of anything. Battle.

He began thinking of several battle strategies in his head. He took into account all of the abilities his fellow travellers had exhibited, their environment, their potential enemies, and all of his talents. He soon was lost in thought, coming up with a hundred different battle plans for a hundredd different hypothetical battles.

It never actually occurred to Koth that it may seem weird that he was just standing and staring blankly off into space.
Back to top Go down
Rokku Hizori
Head Diplomat
Head Diplomat
Rokku Hizori

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 1:29 am

The two kha guards looked at each other, and one chuckled as he turned back to Lars. "Silly kitten kha. No onee in to see the gar, no diseases spread to Kha. Those the rulees. Nowe go away beforee we calle your dasro'tchak." The Kha that spat the threat then lowered his spear slightly, showing his willingness to use it if Lars truly did try to do anything...foolish. The other looked over to see another, smaller Kha attempting to play with the gar children. "Renosak! Youee know better! Gete awayee!" He said, and stomped toward the small Kha to pull him away.

Lars was an idiot. A complete and utter idiot. Either he did not understand how nobility functioned, or he absolutely refused to see it. I glanced at the gar, and then at Marsha and Lars, and bit back the astonishment that their people existed here alongside the Kha. I nodded at Zac's words, and whispered back "They are indeed...but these seem far more...frail. Like a petal in the river..." I said, catching Zac's last comment. "I don't think any of us were, least of all Marsha." I said, and then walked toward the girl, placing a hand upon her shoulder. "Be strong, my little seedling." I said, and then turned to eye Lars with a death glare. "And you! You bumbling idiot!" I yelled, now certain that we appeared as Kha to the others present. "Have you not had any contact with nobility, or are you just stupid? We could be put to death because of your loose tongue and disrespectful attitude! Nobles don't care about what you think or feel, they'll just kill you!" I said, and then grabbed his shoulder to drag him away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Steel Curtain   The Steel Curtain - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Steel Curtain
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3