Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Welcome back!

If you're new and registering today, don't forget to post an intro thread in our Hello, Sunshine category so we can all say hello! Thanks!
Agasaria
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agasaria

A writing site for newbies and veterans alike - we welcome open roleplaying with any genre and skill level welcome, as well as writers of short stories, creative pieces, poetry, workshops, and more!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Playing card stories

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ionalien
Ionalien

Playing card stories Empty
PostSubject: Playing card stories   Playing card stories I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 3:09 am

So I saw this card trick the other day where a guy tells a story using a deck of cards, which was pretty cool. (The "Magic" part was that he shuffled the cards while dealing, watch the trick here.) I came up with this idea to do the same thing, except impromptu and randomly. So basically, draw cards from a fairly shuffled deck, and start a story based off of them. It could be one line, or a paragraph based on 1-5 or so cards. And it doesn't have to be concretely attached to the cards, the post could just be vaguely related. Also not just the number of the cards, you could use the suits (not just the normal names, I have heard of clubs being called puppy feet), or nicknames for the cards (like the suicide king or one-eyed jacks). With multiple cards you could incorporate the poker hand name or nickname (pocket Aces are bullets, or AK suited [?] is big slick), or even just the strength of the hand it would make (a full house could invigorate the main character or something.). The possibilities are endless, but the concept remains the same; you write a story which is influenced by random chance. You could do whatever you want but I think that these rules could make it more interesting:
1. Use all 52 cards, jokers optional. (If you want the story to be longer use more decks, either two combined to draw from or one deck shuffled after being exhausted.)
2. Draw 1-5 cards at a time.
3. Try not to plan too far ahead so as to not have difficulty incorporating drawn cards.
4. If you are using your own deck, please post the cards that you drew in order that you did so with both values and suits. (Although you could try not doing this, and seeing if others can guess what you drew.)
4a. Also if you are using your own deck, refrain from stacking it the way you want; part of the fun in my eyes is adapting to the random chance. Although if you want to tell a story based on a certain order, feel free to start it in another post or at least say that you made the order the way it was.
All in all, just have fun with this. If you do not have a deck of cards, simply tell me how many you need and I will PM you with your draws.(I will also keep the order of the cards for you, so there won't be any duplicate draws.) Also if you have any suggestions, please do post!
Back to top Go down
Ionalien
Ionalien

Playing card stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Playing card stories   Playing card stories I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 3:13 am

Oh, and I just thought of this: we could either all have our own individual stories, or do like the make a story game except instead of changing author every two words switch on draws to make a collaborative story.
Back to top Go down

Playing card stories
Page 1 of 1